Discover Your First Nonclinical Job
This is an introductory course that presents the following concepts to students:
1. There are certain myths about shifting from a traditional medical career to a nonclinical job that must be debunked before moving on:
- Physicians have insufficient transferable skills to move into a nonclinical job
- There are is a limited number and types of jobs available
- My income will drop drastically if I move to a nonclinical job
- I cannot contribute to patient care in a meaningful way if I leave clinical practice
2. There is a process that most clinicians follow when transitioning from a clinical to a nonclinical position:
- Step One involves overcoming the limiting beliefs and preparing mentally for the shift
- Step Two involves discovering the available options and narrowing them down based on their alignment with your needs for location, flexibility, industry, schedule, and need to travel.
- Step Three requires planning for the transition using mentors, coaches, and professional organizations; converting your CV to a resumé; preparing a complete LinkedIn profile; networking in a focused way; and preparing for your interviews.
Based on his own experience with career transition, and interviewing and mentoring dozens of physicians in nonclinical careers, John serves as your guide.
Begin your journey to a new career built on your medical expertise that will bring joy and balance back to your life.